Best Buddies - Spread the Word to End the Word Concert
What is Best Buddies?
Best Buddies is an international organization that matches students with individuals in the community who are 18 years or older and have intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD) in one-to-one friendship.
Best Buddies at Duquesne University
At Duquesne University, our Best Buddies Chapter has 112 one-to-one friendship matches and host events throughout the year to foster these relationships and promote inclusion on our campus.
Some of the events include:
- Holiday parties
- A talent show
- Duquesne sports games
- Outings to the circus and Disney on Ice
Our Biggest Event of the Year: The Spread the Word to End the Word Concert!
The Spread the Word to End the Concert is a national campaign created by Best Buddies International and Special Olympics to raise awareness about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed)” in everyday speech. This annual event encourages people to pledge to eliminate the derogatory use of the “r-word” and helps to communicate our message of the inclusion and integration of people with IDD to a wider audience.
This year's concert, which is expected to have 450 attendees, will be held on Thursday, April 20 at 6 p.m. in the Duquesne Union Ballroom. It will feature performances by:
- Yes! You Can Dance, a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming lives through the power of dance
- The rock cover band Flying Sock Monkeys
- Duquesne University's Encore Show Choir
Why We Need Your Support
We need donations in order to defray the costs of our events and provide the best opportunities for our buddies! Your donation will help make our Spread the Word to End the Word Concert a success and provide a memorable experience for our buddies.
Donations will allow us to help pay for concert:
- Performers and their travel/hotel expenses
Not only will the money be used to support our concert, but any remaining money will be used to fund events in the next school year!
How You Can Help
- Donate Now: Make a gift today, of any amount, to help us reach our goal and support this important program that means so much to so many. Even a donation of $10 will make a difference!
- Help us Spread the Word: Another way to make a big impact on our campaign is by helping to spread the word. Please share our link www.spirit.duq.edu/bestbuddies17 via social media, e-mail and text and encourage your friends and family to make a donation.
From all of us students in Duquesne University’s Best Buddies Chapter and on behalf of our buddies, thank you for your consideration and support!
Make sure to follow us on Facebook for regular updates about Best Buddies and to see your donation in action!