iDebate Rwanda at Duquesne University
Who Are We? Why Are We Hosting a Crowdfunding Campaign?
We are upperclassmen and graduate students in the Duquesne University COMM 350: Event Planning class. We are assisting the Duquesne Debating Society in their efforts to host iDebate Rwanda on campus this November for a week-long visit. This effort will provide the unique opportunity for the Duquesne University community to engage with five Rwandan students in cultural activities, educational enrichment and at a special event in November.
This will be the third time in three years the debate team from Rwanda will stop at Duquesne University for a debate that serves a higher purpose. See photos from last year.
What is iDebate Rwanda?
iDebate Rwanda is an organization that holds a yearly competition to send young students from Rwanda to the United States for a national tour. The tour is centered around debate and the idea of “thinking and speaking a better world.” iDebate Rwanda also provides opportunities for numerous students around East Africa to learn about debate and attend tournaments.
Why Do We Need You to Give Today?
Donations are needed to help the Duquesne Debating Society cover the costs of bringing iDebate Rwanda to campus. Specifically, your donation will be used to help cover the costs of:
- Paying a hosting fee to iDebate Rwanda
- Room and board for the visiting debaters and coaches
- Costs associated with our main event, including advertising, food, et cetera
What Will iDebate Rwanda Do Here and How Does it Benefit Duquesne University?
- Duquesne University students, faculty and staff will have multiple opportunities to meet and engage with the Rwandan debate team throughout the week of November 7.
- The main event of the week will be an intercultural social held on campus that includes dinner and speakers on the theme of Forgiveness. This event will be open to the Duquesne University community and the local Pittsburgh community. It will allow Duquesne University students to learn about post-genocide Rwanda as well as engage in intercultural exchange with college-aged students from Rwanda.
Please Give Today and Help Spread the Word!
This project deeply connects with the Mission of Duquesne University, in particular, our commitment to "moral and spiritual values" and attention to "global concerns." Please make a donation today by hitting the "Give Now!" button on this page. You can also help by sharing a link to this page on social media. Please include the #DUQiDebate. Thank you!