National Student Speech Language Hearing Association
What is NSSLHA?
The National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) is a national organization for graduate and undergraduate students who are interested in the study of normal and disordered human communication.
NSSLHA at Duquesne University
We have our own NSSLHA Chapter at Duquesne University, which is open to all current Speech-Language Pathology students.
As part of our NSSLHA Chapter, we participate in:
- Service activities around the Pittsburgh community pertaining to speech and language disorders
- Apraxia walk supporting families of children with Apraxia
- Educational events for members that explain health science field from different perspectives of various professionals
- Aphasia workshop- learning for speech pathology students and teaching PT students
- Research opportunities that bring faculty and students together to expand knowledge and encourage student learning outside of the classroom
Why Are We Crowdfunding?
We are hoping to raise funds in order to purchase supplies for our on campus clinic, such as colored paper and other craft supplies. We will also use this money to help afford necessary supplies for our meetings.
In addition, it has become a tradition that the 4th and 5th year members of our chapter (graduate students) attend the annual American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention. We need your support to send as many students as we can to this great event. The 2017 ASHA Conventions will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California, November 9-11, 2017.
Why is the Convention Important for Duquesne University Students to Attend?
This convention is the premier annual event for speech-language pathologists, audiologists, and speech, language, and hearing scientists. Bringing together more than 14,000 attendees, the Annual Convention provides students with a once-a-year opportunity to learn about the latest research, polish clinical skills, improve techniques, and gain new tools and resources to advance professional development. (www.asha.org/Events/convention/About-the-ASHA-Convention).
At the convention, our members will:
- Learn about different disorders, treatments and technology in speech pathology.
- Be exposed to and present research on technology and how to treat clients with disorders in areas such as voice and articulation.
- Make connections with professionals from around the country, learn about new developments in the field of speech-language pathology, and explore various career paths in the field.
Please Give Now and Help Spread the Word!
If you would like to help enhance the educational experience of Duquesne University Speech-Language Pathology students, then please give now. We also ask that you please help spread the word about this campaign by sharing this link - www.spirit.duq.edu/nsslha17 - on social media and by sending it to those who might also be willing to help. Thank you!