What is the Undergraduate Mock Trial Team?
The Duquesne University Undergraduate Mock Trial Team is a group of students who compete in fictitious trials by portraying attorneys and witnesses and building a case theory. Mock Trial provides its members with the opportunity to be exposed to the courtroom environment so that they can develop their trial advocacy skills, public speaking skills, as well as their analytical and logical thinking skills – all of which are invaluable skills in the legal field and in life.
A little bit about us:
- Last year the Dukes advanced to the Open Round Championship Series and competed among the top 25% of teams in the nation!
- The 2021-2022 season was filled with awards! As a team, we had four first place finishes, one fourth place finish, and brought in an impressive 27 individual awards.
- As a registered team through the American Mock Trial Association (AMTA), we compete against other universities throughout the country such as Ohio State University, Penn State University, and the Yale University (just to name a few). We travel to invitational tournaments as well as in AMTA National Championship competitions.
- We practice almost daily in preparation for these events.
- Our coaches, Jared Lemin, Corey Kirkwood, and Will Meadow are veteran mock trial competitors and have coached mock trial for many years at all competitive levels.
- Each member of the team reads through the case materials and from there we divide roles among the members – either attorney or witness. Each member will then prepare opening and closing statements, direct and cross examinations, and objection responses as they relate to their individual role.
- The members of the team are greatly diverse in their respective fields of study. We have members who are political science majors and wish to go on to law school, but we also have members that are science majors who wish to become doctors – along with every subject area and career goal in between.
Success of the Undergraduate Mock Trial Team?
Success comes in many forms in mock trial. Success can be receiving a team award, an individual award (outstanding attorney or witness), having increased confidence in public speaking, building a resume for law school, deciding to pursue law, or even just making new friends and enjoying being a part of a team.
How Will Your Donation Be Used?
It is our hope that this fundraising campaign will raise enough money to cover expenses for the invitational (fall semester) and regional (spring semester) season. Our expenses are quite extensive between:
- Registration costs
- Case material costs
Please Donate Today!
We cannot do this alone. Please consider donating today! Please share this page with family and friends. Every little bit helps!
Make sure to stay connected with the Team by following us on Instagram @duq.mocktrial and giving our Facebook Page “Duquesne Mock Trial” a like!
Contact Julia Filipkowski, President of the Duquesne University Undergraduate Mock Trial Team, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank You For Your Consideration & Support!