Pure Thirst 2018
What is Pure Thirst?
The mission of Pure Thirst is to work with the Olkokola community in northern Tanzania in its effort to gain better access to clean water, while teaching students how to be agents of positive change in our world. Grounded in the Spiritan tradition, Pure Thirst embraces the building of authentic relationships while walking with those on the margins.
Pure Thirst works with Spiritans, Duquesne faculty, and community leaders in Olkokola as they explore ways to increase water access and improve water quality.
How have we made an impact in the Olkokola, Tanzania community?
The summer of 2019 will mark our fourth trip to Olkokola. This is guided by Duquesne’s Spiritan-inspired mission, where we value authentic relationships and work in the same location to help affect positive change over time. On our trips to Olkokola we:
- meet many of the community members and form relationships with them
- hear from the local water board about their priorities and needs to gain a better understanding of the community's relationship with water, its challenges, and how we can work as a partner to hopefully improve access to clean water
- visit two primary schools and teach lessons on the importance of proper hand washing
- test the filters printed here in Duquesne’s 3D printing lab for effectiveness in removing dangerous levels of fluoride from the water
- map the water access points so we can see the areas where access is still lacking
- use purchased equipment to test the water for exceedingly high levels of minerals, as well as dangerous bacteria
- travel around the Olkokola region to collect and test water samples to see what contaminants are impacting the water supply at each access point
How will your donation be used?
While we are proud of all these accomplishments, our work is far from done! Your donations are needed to make all of this possible.
Your donation will help to fund our continued work in the region from supplies for the school on water education to equipment that will help us better understand where the best water access points are in the community to equipment that will assist in testing the water. We eagerly await the chance to continue our work, but we can’t do it alone! Please consider donating!
Please donate today and help us spread the word!
We ask that you please donate today to this special project. Another way to help is to spread the word is by sharing this page - www.spirit.duq.edu/purethirst18 - with family, friends and on social media. Stay connected with Pure Thirst by following us on Facebook and Twitter. Thank you!
Questions? Contact Luci-Jo DiMaggio, Duquesne University Director of Mission Animation, at firstname.lastname@example.org.