What is Best Buddies?
Best Buddies is an international organization that matches students with individuals in the community who are 18 years or older and have intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD) in one-to-one friendship.
Best Buddies at Duquesne University
At Duquesne University, our Best Buddies Chapter has 309 total members, including over 100 one-to-one friendships and over another 100 associate members. Our chapter hosts events throughout the year to help these relationships flourish and help promote inclusion on our campus.
Some of the events include:
- Holiday Party (Halloween Costume Party, Valentine’s Day Ball)
- Talent Show
- Duquesne Sporting Events
- Public Outings- Disney On Ice
- Board Game Days
Our Biggest Event of the Year: The Spread the Word to End the Word Concert!
The Spread the Word to End the Concert is a national campaign created by Best Buddies International and Special Olympics to raise awareness about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed)” in everyday speech. This annual event is held at several college campuses and encourages people to pledge to eliminate the derogatory use of the “r-word,” promoting our message of the inclusion of people with IDD to a wider audience.
This year's concert, which is expected to have 450 attendees (will update), will be held on Thursday, April 26 at 6-9 p.m. in the Duquesne Union Ballroom.
Why We Need Your Support
We need donations in order to defray the costs of our events and provide the best opportunities for our buddies! Your donation will help cover the costs of past events, make our Spread the Word to End the Word Concert a success and provide a memorable experiences for all of our buddies.
Your donations will allow us to help pay for Concert:
- Performers and their Travel/Hotel Expenses
Not only will the money be used to support our concert, but any remaining money will be carried over to help fund more events in the upcoming school year!
How You Can Help
- Donate Now: Make a gift today, of any amount, to help us reach our goal and support this important program that means so much to so many. Even a donation of $10 will make a tremendous difference!
- Help us Spread the Word: Another way to make a big impact on our campaign is by helping to spread the word. Please share our link www.spirit.duq.edu/bestbuddies18 via social media, e-mail and text and encourage your friends and family to make a donation.
From all of us students in Duquesne University’s Best Buddies Chapter and on behalf of our buddies, thank you for your consideration and support!
Make sure to follow us on Facebook for regular updates about Best Buddies and to see your donation in action!